CITY GUIDES OVERVIEW
• City Guides, founded in 1978 (see History page for details), is a non-profit organization with more than 200 trained volunteers who lead FREE history and architectural walking tours in San Francisco. We are sponsored by the San Francisco Public Library and are a a San Francisco Parks Alliance Partner. Join us for a walk along the streets, sidewalks, and byways of America’s most beautiful – and fascinating – city!
• City Guides volunteers research, develop, organize, and lead free walking tours that focus on the architecture, history, legends, and lore of San Francisco. Walks last from 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
• For a small donation per participant, group tours are also available. Find out more.
• Tours are offered 52 weeks a year, rain or shine. Approximately 30 different walks are offered each month.
• An expanded schedule, offered in May and October, promises additional walks, some of which are given only in these two months.
• Tours are offered in San Francisco’s most famous (or, in some cases, infamous) districts, as well as in some of its more hidden neighborhoods.
• Walkers meet at the place and time designated in the current Tour Schedule. No reservations are required. Guests are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes and look for their City Guide at the meeting place.
• City Guides provides this service to the public for free, thanks to dedicated volunteers and committed sponsors.
• The majority of our operation is supported by voluntary donations by our tour guests and sponsors. In addition, we receive some financial support from Grants for the Arts of the San Francisco Hotel Tax Fund and other organizations.
City Guides depends for a large part of our operating funds on the generous contributions of individuals like you. We invite you to join us as a sponsor.